[registrars]

RE: [registrars] nomination for the Icann Nominating Committee

Hi Nikolaj:

That would have made two nominations for Bret, one from the Registrars and
one from the Registry. I believe the registry constituency is deciding their
candidate this Wednesday. I agree that Bret does possess all of the
qualities of the candidate we are looking for. Over the years he has proved
a valuable sounding board to me on many positions.

Criteria #4 is one of the most difficult to meet and one of the reasons why
I thought Henning would be able to provide an objective viewpoint since
Deutshe Telekom's registrar business is so de minimis to its overall
business operations. Having a major or vocal registrar serve in this
capacity I believes complicates the criteria of #4. Particularly when you
realize that providers (registrars, registries and ccTLD operators) are a
minority in the nominating committee. A strong candidate that understands
the viewpoints and concerns of registrars, while being able to relate to the
users (ISPs, Small Businesses, Large Businesses, IP owners, etc) is critical
to have a fair and impartial board elected.

Unfortunately the nomination period was closed today and I do not have the
authority to unilaterally re-open it. As someone that has been crucified for
deviating from the rules previously, I would not consider re-opening the
nomination process unless the Executive Committee approved and there were no
objections from the candidates.

Best regards,

Mike