[registrars]

[registrars] Language of communication with registrant

Hello All,

To follow up on this thread, here are a set of agreements that we are
familiar with:
Registry to Registrar agreement (english)
Registrar to reseller agreement  (maybe in a language other than English)
Registrar to registrant agreement (maybe default English, but translated for
registrants)
Reseller to registrant agreement  (most likely in the language preferred by
the registrant)

As Tom points out, often the reseller presents the Registrar-to-Registrant
agreement in a translated form to the registrant.  The reseller also handles
customer service in the language preferred by the registrant.  The problem
currently occurs when a losing registrar directly contacts the registrant to
verify the transfer (often the losing registrar has had no previous
communications with the registrant).  In this case the language is often not
the preferred language of the registrant - and in fact the registrant is
frequently confused and ignores the email.  The losing registrar treats this
is a denial of transfer.

Making language choices based on country code or the preferred language of
the registrar to registrant agreement may not be helpful for the registrant.

A better solution is to not to guess the language of the registrant, but
build in multi-lingual capability into the standard message.  e.g Include
default English with some initial text in multiple languages (e.g eight of
the most common) that directs a registrant to a range of translations at a
central website (as suggested by Rick Wesson).   The range of translations
can increase over time.  It also makes for a simple implementation from the
point of view of each registrar.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin