[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Language Compromise

Mike,

using the aggrements language might not be the best way to
determine the language of the Registrant or Admin-C.

Just a little scenario of what we would experience every day:

Registrar R has a contract with Webhoster W in Germany.
Due to the fact that the Registrar is in the UK and
the Webhoster knows some english the agreement is past
on in english as all the communication between R and the W.
This works fine until the Customer C of W who does not
speak any english at all (one of the reasons why he picked
W in the first place) wants to leave W and R. At this time
R (in case he does the authentication step) sends a
notification to C. C does not understand the notification
which is send in the language of the agreement (english)
and considers the email as spam and deletes it.

Result: The transfer will never happen and in some ways
it is nobodies fault.

To determine the Registrant/Admin-C language based on the
country code in the WHOIS sounds like a better idea to me.

Best,

tom

--

Thomas Keller

Domain Services
Schlund + Partner AG
Erbprinzenstr. 4 - 12                                    Tel. +49-721-91374-534
76133 Karlsruhe, Germany                                 Fax  +49-721-91374-215
http://www.schlund.de                                    tom@schlund.de

Am 01.12.2002 schrieb Michael D. Palage:
> Hello All:
>
> With regard to the discussion about the language of any dispute proceedings,
> here are some additional thoughts.
>
> Given that the RRA contract is in English, it is not unreasonable for the
> Registry to ask to have the proceedings between registrars conducted in
> English. However, I do believe that any standard correspondence sent to the
> registrant should be in the language of the registrant agreement. To
> facilitate and obtain the informed consent of the registrant in the transfer
> process, any registrar that has a non-English contract would be required to
> translate the standard transfer communication into the native language of
> their registrant agreement and make it available to other gaining
> registrars. Although the dispute proceedings between registrars may be in
> English, the dispute provider will only have to verify that the
> standardized communication was sent in the appropriate language.
>
> It is my professional opinion that one of the biggest benefits of the ICANN
> Registry/Registrar model has been the ability of registrants to register,
> transfer and maintain domain names in their native language through a local
> registrar of their choice. Requiring that all correspondence in connection
> with domain name portability to be in a foreign language is in my humble
> opinion somewhat US centric. I believe Bob, has provided some insight into
> the problems faced by Japanese registrants, and I would like to hear from
> some of the European and Korean registrars as well on this point.
>

> In summary my position is:
>
> (1) Dispute proceedings (if adopted) between registrars shall be in English,
> as per the language of the RRA.
>
> (2) Standard correspondence sent to registrant regarding transfer shall be
> in the language(s) of the registration agreement of losing registrar.
>
> (3) Registrars with registrant contracts in non-English languages shall be
> required to produce translated copies of the standardized correspondence
> sent to registrant in connection with transfer proceedings, and make this
> correspondence available to gaining registrars.
>
> (4) ICANN/Registries shall be required to maintain a list of registrars and
> the language(s) of their registrant contract so that gaining registrar can
> send appropriate correspondence.
>
> A couple of questions to VRSN Registry:
>
> Question #1: If VeriSign Registry was required to provide this dispute
> mechanism would it view this as ICANN Consensus mandated policy by which it
> would be eligible to charge and recognize a reasonable profit? Yes [ ] or No
> [ ]
>
> Question #2: If VeriSign Registry decides to charge a fee for this service,
> could VeriSign Registry provide an estimated cost of these services? Under
> $100 [ ], Under $500 [ ] , Under $1,000 [ ], over a $1,000 [ ].
>
> Question #3: Although the proposed transfer's task force final report
> [...]

gruss

tom
       O /
      /|    o
      / \  \|/
    wenn ein kind eine blume pflueckt ist das schoen.
 wenn alle kinder eine blume pfluecken ist die wiese leer.

PGP signature