From: Michael D. Palage [mailto:michael@palage.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 8:16 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck; Robert F. Connelly; Registrar Constituency
Subject: RE: Language Compromise

Chuck:

I agree that the general principles are a positive step in the right
direction. However, I believe a preliminary assessment of my questions are
important. If the answers to my questions indicate we are heading down a
dead-end alley, then I suggest we expend our resources in a more
constructive manner. If any of these issues are a non-starter then I suggest
we go back to the drawing board.

With regard to you other posting requiring registrars to provide a link to
the translation documentation, I would respectfully submit that this still
an English centric viewpoint. If you were to receive the following text in
an email would you bother clicking on the links.

????~~?????????~~???? (no idea what this means cut and pasted from a recent
spam)

I think the answer would likely be no. As a person that only speaks one
language the tendency would be for me to favor this English only view of the
DNS. However, as someone that is attempting to learn a second language I can
tell you the difficulties I have encountered.

However, not wishing to be a stick in the mud, I will leave further
discussion of this issue to the foreign registrars (with non-English
language registration agreements) as they are best situated to gauge their
customer's best interest.

Thanks again for your constructive efforts to bring about a resolution to
this problem.

Best regards,

Mike