[registrars]

RE: [registrars] .US Transfer Proposal

Thanks Bruce.

I agree that providing an Auth Code alone is not enough and that is why it
must be produced by either the Registrant or the Admin Contact.

I believe my proposal was a two step process.

Step 1: Registrant or Admin Contact provides an auth code to gaining
registrar;
Step 2: Gaining registrar submits auth code to implement transfer

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe you are proposing a three step
process:

Step 1: Registrant or Admin Contact provides an auth code to gaining
registrar;
Step 2: Gaining registrar submits standardized transfer communication to
Registrant and Admin Contact, requesting re-verification of the initial
request.
Step 3: Gaining registrar submits auth code to implement transfer.

In any challenge, the Gaining registrar would be required to provide the
documentations in Step #2.

My question is it possible for Step #1 and Step #2 to happen concurrently.
Specifically, could a registrant go to a gaining registrars web site and
click I want to transfer my domain name. On the first screen, registrant
would provide domain name, email and auth code. After clicking the next
button could the second screen provide the standardized communication. In
this scenario, the only documentation the gaining registrar would have would
be a database entry.

Or are you envisioning a multi-step process. Registrant provides information
via web site, fax or snail mail. Then the gaining registrar sends email or
similar electronic confirmation with the details. After receiving
email/electronic confirmation back, gaining registrar submits transfer
request.

Although I see the merits of your additional step, I only see this value if
the submission and verification is a two-step process.

I will consider you mark-ups. Any additional clarification to my comments
above would be greatly appreciated.

Mike