From: Robert F. Connelly [mailto:rconnell@psi-japan.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 01, 2002 1:26 PM
To: Gomes, Chuck
Cc: Registrar Constituency; Duane Connelly; Mieko Umezu
Subject: RE: [registrars] Fw: Principles

At 06:59 AM 12/1/02 -0500, Gomes, Chuck wrote:
>How would you deal with this challenge?  I welcome your ideas as to how we
>could deal with the problems you raise while at the same time providing a
>process that would facilitate dispute resolution in an objective and timely
>manner.

Dear Chuck:

I was not addressing the dispute resolution proposal.

What I *am* discussing is the Email sent by the would be losing registraR
to the admin contact or registrant.  Some of these are so complex that they
would be difficult for a non English speaking recipient to fathom and to
comply with the contents thereof.

I previously submitted the following taken from one registrar's Email to
admin contact:

A request has been made to transfer domain name(s) for which you are the
administrative contact to the registrar XXXXXXXX.com.   In order to
approve or disapprove the transfer, please click on the following "Link" and
use the "Login Information" provided below within 5 calendar days of this
email:

Link:
http://########.com/admin.html

Login Information
-----------------

Batch ID     : 12345
Admin Handle : ABCD-ORG
Pin #        : c4805e

end quote:
If a Japanese were unfamiliar with "Pin", he or she would go to their
"Jibiki", in this case "English to Japanese Dictionary".  The definition he
would find would be a noun or verb transitive, something for sewing.  I
remember in my first weeks in 1971 going into a major department store on
the Ginza to buy some pins.  The summoned forth their English
"talker".  After a fit of sign language, she said, "You mean Japanese
'pin'?"

What she found me was an ordinary garden variety of pin, the kind my
grandmother used.  To this Japanese lass, it was a "Japanese pin", not an
international pin.

We Americans create words and acronyms at the drop of the hat -- then
launch to use them, BTW, to express their opinion, IMHO;-(

I previously mentioned one well known registraR who has (or had)
instructions requiring the correspondent to cut and paste a serial number
into the subject line of their reply.  Just too complex.

If your comment is directed toward the Email from the intended losing
registraR to the admin contact, I would caution that the verbiage be
simple.  If a non reply to an Email is to be interpreted to support a nack,
then KISS (ceep it simply stupidd:-)

Regards, BobC