[registrars]

R: [registrars] domain registry of europe

   [...]

> Whilst not apparently illegal (not sure about the VAT aspect
> which could be
> counter to UK and EC tax rules) many customers are confused
> and a few have
> actually paid money to these people without realising they would be
> changing Registrar (the small print on the back is REALLY
> SMALL print and
> needs a magnifying glass to read). It does not even mention
> that the new
> Registrar would be eNom (not sure if this complies with ICANN
> rules?).

As you noted, VAT issues make a good point in Europe, especially when
inviting to payments without collecting VAT. And also not explicitly
disclaiming the new registrar has to be considered. In the mean time,
our lawyers are requesting to EU authorities an official position on the
following:
- misleading use of the term "registry", wich actually they're not
- misleading use of the EU official flag
- misleading use of the combined terms "domain registry of europe"; with
all the attention of the public opinion on the coming new ccTLD ".EU",
their conduct could be considered inappropriate when capitalizing on
this event for their other activities.

 Bruno Piarulli
 Register.it SpA
 tel +39 035 3230300