[registrars]

Re: [registrars] domain registry of europe

Internetters in the UK is aware of many hundreds of official-looking
renewal notices from the Domain Registry of Europe - with a UK mailing
address - mail forwarding address only - Domain Registry of Europe, 56
Gloucester Road Suite 526, London SW7 4UB - see
<http://www.mailnetwork.com/offer.html> but the phone number is in Canada
and there is no registered VAT tax number.

Whilst not apparently illegal (not sure about the VAT aspect which could be
counter to UK and EC tax rules) many customers are confused and a few have
actually paid money to these people without realising they would be
changing Registrar (the small print on the back is REALLY SMALL print and
needs a magnifying glass to read). It does not even mention that the new
Registrar would be eNom (not sure if this complies with ICANN rules?). We
are receiving dozens of customer support calls seeking clarification.

We also note that Domain Registry of Canada (currently in a 2-way lawsuit
with Tucows), which appears to be behind this, has also registered the
domain name DROUK.COM (can we assume renewal notices for .UK domains will
also start arriving shortly??).

If eNom can stop these practices under the auspices of them as a Registrar,
this would be most welcomed by Registrars in Europe.

Regards,

Paul Westley
Internetters Limited
UK