[registrars]

[registrars] WLS Position

To All,

Dotster’s review of the TF final recommendations, regarding the Verisign WLS
proposal, have resulted in the following comments:

We agree with WLS task force's primary recommendation to deny the WLS.  Our
position regarding the WLS is well documented in our position statement that
we provided to the task force quite some time ago, so I will not belabor the
points already embodied in that statement.

	The alternative recommendation is another issue.  Dotster understands that
the TF has to take into account that the ICANN Board may not accept the
policy recommendations outlined in the primary recommendation.  Rejection of
the primary recommendation implies that potential acceptance of the WLS, is
a possibility.  The TF has done an excellent job in attempting to attach
“conditions” that will make the WLS proposal more palatable.  The conditions
that have been attached are cogent, concise and meaningful and the TF is to
be lauded for its efforts.  However, attempting to make a silk purse out of
this sow’s ear is extremely difficult.  The issues that have been addressed
are primarily process related items that are intended to minimize the
adoption sting of this monopolistic proposal.

Dotster’s position is that we remain strongly opposed to the WLS in any
form.  ICANN could go a long way towards resolving all the issues involved
in this sordid mess by simply implementing and “enforcing” the following
three items:

1)	An enforced redemption grace period for all deleted names.
2)	Establishment and enforcement of a standard deletion period.
3)	A policy that levies heavy financial penalties for anyone who hoards
domain names.

We believe that the Internet marketplace should be a consumer-centric
phenomenon, characterized by freedom of choice and competition.   This
environment will result in competitive prices, innovation and higher levels
of customer service for the end user community.  If we grant “one more
monopoly” where will it stop?  Dotster believes that we are on the verge of
establishing a dangerous industry precedent that could have far reaching
implications. The primary issue from Dotster’s perspective is not how to
modify the WLS so that it appears more appealing, but rather to “stop” the
establishment of a monopoly that will only work to the consumer’s and
industry’s detriment.

Clint Page
President
Dotster Inc.,