[registrars]

RE: [registrars] EPP Discussion

--On Thursday, June 20, 2002 8:06 AM +0200 Nikolaj Nyholm
<nikolajn@ascio.com> wrote:

> I agree that participants have varying backgrounds, but I believe,
> Michael, that you, as constituency president, should be commited to
> setting a certain standard for discussions on this list.
> It is simply fruitless when a list member engages in condemning on
> ambiguous grounds, and we these discussions blossom over and over again.

There is nothing ambiguous about my concern whatsoever.  A registrar was
granted injunctive relief by a US Court to stop what was alleged to be a
deceptive marketing campaign.  Getting injunctive relief is not easy.
There is a very high standard which need be met for a petitioner to get
that, including (among other criteria) that petitioner has a very high
probability of success in their claim based upon its merit.  After all that
there is apparently some question as to whether or not Verisign followed
the order of the court, as another Registrar had to file another action
seeking to injoin the same conduct.  This is huge stuff; the industry as a
whole is damaged as a result of this incident.

Given this very recent history, I expressed a concern that giving data to
Verisign that could further facilitate this activity is a bad idea.  It's
not as if this is paranoid.  I was personally amazed and disappointed that
Verisign, as the market leader and the oldest registrar, did what they did.
But now that they did, the bar is lowered (and I mean lowered a lot) and
such concerns, easily dismissed only a few weeks ago, must now be examined
in the full light of day.

This is not a reflection on any engineer or technical person at Verisign
GRS nor is it an opinion about the technical merit of the new protocol.
When we look at technical changes, we look at its impact on the entire
business.  Nothing in the Verisign GRS customer survey made clear whether
or not a change to EPP would require registrars to provide their contact
data.  Given that all the new EEP registries require this there was no
reason it was clear that such disclosure would not be required.

> I would encourage Jim Archer and every other member of this list, to put
> forward concerns as questions, rather than regular declarations. This
> would allow for a dialogue between parties rather the common trench
> warfare.

Had I known there was an option for a "thin" implementation in the spec, I
would have asked.  However, my concern remains valid.  This is not just a
technical concern.  Any major change like this needs to be looked at from
many sides, not just an engineering one.

> As a sidenote, I might add that we shouldn't forget that one of the main
> contributors to EPP is Scott Hollenbeck at Netsol/Verisign -- he is doing
> a very admirable job.

Scott does a great job and is very responsive.  I am sure he has no
connection to the deceptive marketing campaign Verisign clearly engaged in.
Any attempt to twist my comments into a personal attack on Scott is
disingenuous.

Jim Archer, CEO
Registration Technologies, Inc.
10 Crestview Drive