[registrars]

[registrars] Re: Registrar Code of Conduct (RCoC)

Jim,

There is another concern.  This is not simply a "voluntary code" that only
applies to Registrars that sign it, or are members of the constituency.

This code becomes part of our contracts with ICANN.  In our contract, if any
code of conduct is adopted, it becomes a mandatory part of each Registrars
contract.

So it won't have the effect of driving members out of the constuency.  But
it may have the larger effect of driving them (and their business models)
out of existence.

I concur with you that this must be a well thought out and debated code.
The fact that it becomes a contractual oblication once approved means we are
effectively negotiating new contracts with ICANN, and some of these
principles may need some serious debate.

I concur with not signing up at this point, and suggest we move ahead with
the debates surounding each item.  Some will be easy, others will be
contentious.

Perhaps we can put this on the agenda in Bucharest for discussion.  If I
recall, we had breakout meetings to deal with it in the past.  I note that
ICANN has published the agenda for Bucharest.  As I suspect Tuesday will be
our typical day long constituency meeting, perhaps this can be done on the
Monday before it (when ICANN has alloted time for other constituency
business).

Rob.