[registrars]

[registrars] Registrar Code of Conduct (RCoC)

Hello Jim and Rob,

> There is another concern.  This is not simply a "voluntary
> code" that only
> applies to Registrars that sign it, or are members of the
> constituency.

I support the concept of a code of conduct.  Unless we start to act on this
soon, the practices used in the industry will only anger consumers further,
and cause more calls for further regulation of this industry.  ie we have a
choice between self-regulation or government imposed regulation.

I understand this code to be the current draft that was discussed some time
ago, and was overtaken by other issues.

From a contractual perspective, I think it would need to be accepted by the
Names Council and then adopted by the ICANN Board as a consensus policy
before we would be bound by it in the code.  We are a long way off that
happening.

The formal process is very time consuming.

I support Rick's attempt to get this issue debated.  He did raise this
amongst the registrars exec committee, and was given support.  I accept the
views however, that this should probably be debated first on the list -
given the concerns.

I have no problem with starting with an interim, draft, whatever you call
it, and for registrars to elect to accept it as an interim code, while
further work is undertaken.

In Australia the draft registrars code was given the status of "Interim" and
Australian registrars are required to comply.  There is further work ongoing
to refine the code, and it will soon be released in Australia for public
comment.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin