[registrars]

RE: [registrars] next step

> and BTW the system could include the other TLD, not only com - net.
>
> all together its an alternative. You know and I know that all the
> emails protesting against Veri$ign are usless and a waste of time.
> (makes you feel good because you protestet, that's all)
>
> The only reality is to do something, not (only) to discuss.

We ourselves have considered the entire possibility that you highlighted -
for two simple reasons

1. We somehow dont share the Verisign opinion that to build the WLS is
complex or requires any huge investment. To the contrary we can have a 2 man
team deploy a robust solution in less than a month

2. Human Resources are far cheaper in India than in the US, and therefore we
could match the cost for developing this system against ANYONE ELSE.

the only issue is this works fine until the domain is registered thru you.
if the domain is registered thru some other registrar then it becomes
complex even if a mutual solution is worked out. for instance -

* say a neutral entity (say a registrar cartale) develops the WLS System.
Lets call this entity WLS

* Registrar A registers abc.com for Client (1)

* Registrar B has Client (2) who wants abc.com on expiry

* Registrar B notifies WLS that he wants abc.com on expiry

Now the question is who keeps the domain name after expiry. Does A keep the
domain but change the owner as per the WLS subscription in the WLS cartale?
Or does A have to trfer the domain name to B.

The former is quite easy to implement, however the latter is next to
impossible with multiple registrars. To execute a transfer between two
registrars using a neutral third party is impossible.