[registrars]

Re: [registrars] By-Laws

Michael

Firstly, I do not appreciate your tone.  I, along with others including
Bruce Beckwith and Ross Rader (and Tim Denton), have offered to do a review
of the bylaws to assist the RC move forward into a new phase.  Anyone in the
constituency is welcome to be part of that process and there is no "agenda"
as you've implied here.  The work of the constituency belongs to everyone
and that will remain the case.

Secondly, whilst you continually name particular registrars and single them
out for specific "treatment" from the chair, I note that we still do not
have a disclosure of interests from the Executive Committee or the Names
Council representatives.  I ask, in line with the minutes of the MdR
meeting, that that be posted COB today to the RC list.

To the substance of your email.

I remind you that the chair does not set the priorities of the group nor
does he determine who does what work in what way.  This is an open group and
everyone is entitled to suggest work for the group and VOLUNTEER to do it.
You will have noted in my attachment (if you read it) that I asked for
participation particularly from Europe and Latin America to encourage a view
other than that which we've had to date.  I'm sure you support this as an
integral part of membership outreach.

You will also note in my attachment that I suggested a smaller "working
group" method for completing work - your note about how much the RC has to
do, how important it is and how it should be prioritised can be easily
handled by asking for help.  By opening the group to participation at a
broader level you will find, personally, less to do.  It will also bring
fresh ideas to the table.

You are aware that review of the bylaws was discussed with reference to the
Names Council elections and that I wrote to a smaller group of the RC to ask
whether it wouldn't be useful, given the shifting environment in which we
operate, to extend that review to the broader set of by laws.

Tim (Denton) and I agreed to work together to put a framework around that
discussion - he to focus on the immediacy of the Names Council elections and
me to work on the longer term view.

You will also be aware that there was discussion about the work of the RC
and how to make it more effective as we move towards a different ICANN board
structure and a different constituency structure.

At present, the RC bylaws are the weakest compared to the other
constituencies.  To support the work of the RC, as I said in my note, we
have two tasks.  The first was to support an ExCom, the second was to
strengthen our processes and the framework in which we operate to give us a
more formal, "recognised" way of operating.

The review is not "independent".  It is undertaken with the support of a
broader group of people.  I have volunteered for that work as it is
something I can contribute to the group within my area of expertise and
experience.

Liz