[registrars]

RE: [registrars] Draft Registrant Complaint Form regarding XFERS

A couple of points.

Whom is to fill out this form ?  If it is a registrar on behalf of the
consumer, then the language used in it is probably OK.

However, if we expect our customers to be able to fill it out, then I think
we need to use some different language and be clearer.  While we all may
know the terms slamming, and what we mean by hijacking, I think there needs
to be some clearer descriptions and instructions given to the end user.

As well, if it is the end user filling it out, we should write the questions
in the first person, ie: Did you authorize the domain transfer request ?

Are you the domain name holder (Registrant)?

If not, please explain your relationship to the holder of the domain name.

etc.  In general, just a modification to the questions so that consumers
will understand more readily.

I would also suggest that you stay away from the "apparent authority"
wording in any questions. We can't define it, and I am not sure how our
clients would.  Better to ask simpler questions, like "Did you authorize the
gaining registrar to transfer the domain to them ?" and "How did you
authorize this ?"

I am not sure why a fax method would be used ?  Why wouldn't we just put
this on our website as a form they could fill out and save it in a database
?  That way, we could pop up more information (or have links) explaining
some of the details behind this if they are confused.

I would also suggest adding a clear statement to the consumer that this form
is for statistical purposes only, and that the constituency is not
responsible to mediate nor resolve any disputes.  The last thing you want is
for consumers to think that the constituency will solve this individual
problem for them (but hopefully we can solve it on a larger scale for all of
them <grin>).

A great start Mike et al., and it will definately get us thinking.

Rob.