[registrars]

[registrars] Budget Advisory Group

Dear All - this is a short note to update you on the work of the Budgetary
Advisory Group (Rob Hall, Bryan Evans, and myself).  On Monday, November 12,
we met with Stuart Lynn, Diane Schroeder, the ICANN Board finance committee,
and advisory groups from other constituencies.

Stuart is aiming to provide a proposed budget for 2002-2003 next year prior
to the March Accra meeting.  Prior to that, he will be soliciting
constituency input on ICANN's goals and responsibilities and the priorities
for the following year.  We in the budget advisory group will work with
ex.com. and all of you to gather a comprehensive set of comments for that
budget.

We will also be working with Diane to help ICANN resolve the payments issues
that they have faced in the past with accredited registrars.  It is
important for us to resolve this issue because if ICANN continues to face
significant receipts problems, they have the ability under our new
accreditation agreements and the registry agreements to require registrars
to pay their dues THROUGH the registries.  We had successfully turned off
this process last year, but only based on our promise to help ICANN resolve
the receipts problem.  Once we have an accounting of the problem from ICANN,
we will work with ex.com. and the constituency to raise it with the
appropriate parties.

Again, this is just a brief update, to be followed by more detailed
announcements once we hear from ICANN.

Elana Broitman