[registrars]

[registrars] XFER Update

Approximately two weeks ago the Names Council decided to form an expedited
task force to address the transfer issue. As discussed in the past there is
difference of opinion over whether this is a contractual interpretation or a
consensus policy question.  Although the registrar constituency has taken a
position that this is a contractual interpretation, we are still working in
conjunction with the Names Council as if this was a policy consideration.

To assist the Names Council in their task, the Executive Committee has
agreed to host a teleconference for the Names Council next Tuesday when the
Executive Committee will provide an informational briefing session on this
topic for them. In preparation for this briefing session, we are preparing
an informational packet that will be posted on the Registrar Web site and
made available to the Names Council representatives. The Executive Committee
will be referencing the two surveys that NSI conducted which they have
publicly relied upon in support of their position. What we would like are
some succinct statements from Registrars detailing their problems to
demonstrate the other side of the problem. In the past ActiveISP,
IARegistry, CORE, TUCOWS, etc. have provided a number of examples and
customer complaints to me. I will be going through my archive of email to
gather this information, but would greatly appreciate it if companies could
provide me with these examples again. If you could format the examples and
put it on company letterhead and sent it to us, that would be even better.

The Executive Committee has tentatively finalized the agenda for the Marina
del Rey meeting. We will be posting it to the list shortly along with
supplementary material that will be available on the registrar web site. We
encourage you to print out this material and bring it with you to the
meeting.

Best regards,

Michael D. Palage
on behalf of the Registrar Executive Committee