[registrars]

[registrars] Registrar participation on New TLD Evaluation Group

  • To: <registrars@dnso.org>
  • Subject: [registrars] Registrar participation on New TLD Evaluation Group
  • From: "Antony Van Couvering" <avc@nameengine.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:38:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-registrars@dnso.org

If on a whim you read the minutes of the recent Names Council call, you
will notice that there is a New TLD Evaluation Group, headed up by
Stuart Lynn, CEO of ICANN:

"10.1 ICANN TLD Evaluation Group

L. Touton informed the Council that this group comprises nine members:
six
representatives coming from the DNSO, together with IETF, GAC and PSO
representatives. S. Lynn, ICANN CEO is chairman. Initial report is
expected
for the Montevideo meeting. The purpose of this group is to design a
process
for evaluating the new TLDs."

Ken Stubbs later asks (correctly, in my opinion, since the Registrars
are in the firing line if something goes wrong, vide .BIZ):

"K. Stubbs inquired why there is no representative from the Registrar
Constituency on the ICANN new TLD Evaluation Group. Ph. Sheppard
responded
that he has received no response from the Registrars Constituency even
though at least three requests had been sent."

Perhaps our newly-elected constituency officers can look into this.  It
seems to me that this is an area where we would want to know what's
going on.

I apologize for sending this note even as I cannot volunteer to look
into it myself or play a further role.

Antony

Antony Van Couvering
CEO, NameEngine