[registrars]

[registrars] Re: [RegistrarsList] Update: Listing of Deleted Domain Names to FTPsite

VeriSign:

The ICANN Registrars would like to request that VeriSign Registry continue
to publish the batched delete report until such a time that the
registrars, VeriSign, and ICANN have agreeded on a long term resolution to
the batched domain delete issue.

The registrars are continuing to analyze the current situation and the
VeriSign Registry short term resolution. If the reports are pulled before
our analysis of the situation is complete it may hurt further progress on
the issue. Since this issue has come to a head several registrars are
evaluating entering the market for deleted domains, and if the reports are
pulled prematurely it may also hurt those registrars that are evaluating
the business model.

It is not our place to determine the worthiness of the business model
built on selling deleted or backordered domains; however, I believe that
continuing to publish the report will benefit all during our policy
development phase to create a long term solution to this problem.

We have done some preliminary analysis on the first 8 days the
deletes were published. Approximately 95% of the batch deleted domains
are a result of VeriSign Registrar deleting names outside of the 45
day grace period. Listed below are the top 5 registrars share of the
deleted domains during our 8 day analysis.

whois.networksolutions.com      119335  94.645718
whois.registrars.com            3012    2.388846
whois.activeisp.com             1003    0.795489
whois.schlund.de                918     0.728074
whois.corenic.net               466     0.369589

We believe that All registrars should have equitable access to evaluate
the domains deleted during the batch delete process. VeriSign Registry
removing the reports and developing a temporary resolution without any
registrar input is hampering our efforts in developing a consensus policy
on this issue.

Registrars formally request Verisign to re-institute the publishing of
the batch delete queue, and the reports be available before the delete
process is executed.

Rick Wesson
CTO - DNSO Registrars Constituency