[registrars]

[registrars] Deleted names "sealed bid sale" proposal

I want to clarify something.
I meant to say "sealed bid sale" not "auction".

An auction has the problem of prices being
run up, and scaring away a potential bidder as people
bid up prices with no intention of closing
the deal. A "sealed bid sale" does not make the
high bidder public until the process is complete.
If the high bidder does not close the deal, the
next highest gets an opportunity to register the name.
It is also much easier to administer than an auction.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com

> > > Ken is right. (Apologize for the cross post here.)
> > >
> > > And until a solution is found, deleted names (outside
> > > of the 5 and 45 day windows) will not be available
> > > for ANYONE to register. And the overwhelming amount of
> > > names not available will not be desirable ones, but names that may
> > > only be in demand by 1 party.
> > >
> > > The solution is to let the market determine
> > > the value of a given domain name.  Unfortunately,
> > > the "application" process (similar to .biz) can't
> > > be used, although at one time even I had made that
> > > suggestion.
> > >
> > > And developing systems or procedures to allow more connections,
> > > (or fairer fights) is simply never going to be practical
> > > and fair to consumers.
> > >
> > > The solution that I propose benefits
> > > everyone. Consumers, Verisign, ICANN.
> > > Additionally, it is a new business opportunity
> > > for Registrars.
> > >
> > > As has been mentioned, why not an auction where Registrars take
> > > bids for desirable names from customers?
> > >
> > > 1) The REGISTRY gets a fee per name for developing and
> > > implementing the systems to allow registrars
> > > to submit bids on behalf of customers.
> > >
> > > 2) The REGISTRARS get a fee for accepting the
> > > bids from potential customers.
> > >
> > > 3) The registrar who is RELEASING (has deleted
> > > or about to delete) the name
> > > gets a % of the name sale to insure that
> > > it is in their best interest to release the
> > > name, and not sell it or retain it themselves.
> > > This would take care of names that are within
> > > the 5 and 45 day windows that don't even go
> > > on registry hold (by providing an incentive
> > > to the registrars of those names to have them
> > > handled in the same way). It would also take care
> > > of registrars monitoring expiration dates of those
> > > names trying to grab them by engineering abusive systems.
> > >
> > > 3a) The other % gets split among ICANN and
> > > other ICANN accredited registrars according
> > > to some formula that would have to be developed.
> > >
> > > 4) Bids can be submitted for any name, even
> > > if it is not expired. That way customers don't
> > > have to constantly monitor the process. The bids
> > > will remain private, only being known by the
> > > registrar who collects the bid and the registry.
> > > We get many cases of people who would like
> > > names that haven't even expired yet, and I'm sure
> > > they would pay a nominal fee to be able to bid
> > > for  the name if it ever was available.
> > >
> > > IANAL, but with the auction approach (unlike the "application" process)
> > > it's legal since the winner is not picked randomly.
> > >
> > > And, it is fair for consumers, since one
> > > small fee, paid to the registrar of your choice,
> > > covers your bid for a given name.
> > > With applications, you have to submit multiple
> > > applications with no guarantee even if you submit
> > > the most applications, only a better chance.
> > > And you lose all the application money.
> > > (And as we know the legality
> > > of that system is currently being questioned.)
> > >
> > > One final thought. People wanting to register
> > > expired names will complain about the fact that they
> [...]

Larry Erlich - DomainRegistry.com, Inc.
215-244-6700 - FAX:215-244-6605 - Reply: erlich@DomainRegistry.com