[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Fw: [council] Posting of Second Advisory Concerning Equitable Allocation of Shared Registration System Resources

> > i would strongly suggest that the registrars form a "working group" led
by
> > our new CTO rick wesson to investigate the circumstances surrounding
these
> > actions described in the letter ... to wit:
>
> ok, I've already inquired with the registry on who their point person is,
> no word yet. we'll do the discussion on the main list, no need to make a
> spcial place for this discussion/group. Any registrar can contribute and
> I'll summarize the current proposals before monday.

Which Monday Rick? If it is the 13th that you are referring to, I'll have to
respectfully disagree. If you are summarizing proposals, then it is
important that you first solicit proposals, allow for their preparation and
then summarize them. This is not something that can happen over the next 48
hours. The fact is, the current "proposals" represent the thinking of a very
limited cross-section of registrar representatives. We need to make sure
that a broad range is represented.

> Since the registry can't/won't give us raw data, we can not do any real
> analysis, we will probably be limited to social engineering. It is a
> registrar behavior we want to change not a technology we need implemented.
> We need the registry delete process changed so that the registrars can't
> game the system by a behavior that looks to other registrars like a DoS
> attack.

Not sure that I completely agree. While the registry may or may not provide
us with global data (have we asked?), the RC represents a tremendous
resource unto itself. The operational experience and observations that we
collectively possess may be enough to make up for any lack of hard data that
the registry possesses.

Further, out of all of the informal suggestions that I have seen put forth
by various registrars, very few of them are substantially social in nature.
Most, if not all, will require varying amounts of applied technology by the
registry and registrars. Additionally, a purely social solution will not be
able to provide adequate enforcement and ensure that these, or similar
problems, will not occur again. Criminal law, for example, is very much a
series of social processes put in place to ensure minimum acceptable levels
of civilized behavior. Unfortunately, a sizeable portion of the population
doesn't respect these social limitations enough to abide by them.
Thankfully, police forces have substantial technology at their disposal to
increase adherence to the social processes represented by law. Even if we
can come up with a magical social formula, we need to make sure that the
right people have the right weapons to uphold their mandate.

We are in the process of refining our "view-of-the-universe", I will be sure
to pass them on once we have put them to bed.

-rwr