[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Deleted names auction proposal

dwascher@iaregistry.com wrote:

> Larry,
> The bidding process has some built in problems already. If you go out to
> some of the registrars now that are in this business - the dollars are high.
> Namewinner(dotster) and Signature have bids for large traffic names well
> above $800.00 per. Various others will claim that the domain name price is
> $8.00 but the admin fee is $792.00.

David, I'm not sure I understand what you are saying here.
Are you saying you think the prices are to high? Or?

> I know that Dan H. has several
> complaints from people about the way various registrars handle bidding and
> how they selectively give the name to a different bidders after the fact.

I don't even think that is an ICANN situation
that they should even be dealing with (now). It seems more
like an FTC situation or a situation that a lawyer
for the agreived should be involved in,  at least in the US.

> There are continuous complaints on boards about the after market game going
> to the highest bidder.

Are you saying complaints because people don't think
they should have to pay high prices for good
names? Well how do they think they should be made
available? The current system?
Or, are you saying because of dishonesty in the current process
by some auctions?

If so, if that happened here it did it would
be easily policed with an appropriate complaint
mechanism.

Any registrar could take a bid or multiple bids.
The registry would determine the high bid and
post that publically. If you were to submit a bid for "xyz.com" for
$1,800 to "RegistrarN" and the registry determined that
$1,800 was the high bid they would notify RegistrarN" and
that would be made public. Presumably the person
who had placed that bid would have some receipt from
the Registrar which would prevent the dishonesty at
that level. (Of course enforcing the same with a Registrar's
resellers would take a little more work and fraud is
always possible.)

> One of the concerns that has been looming is that all expired or deleted
> names would be funneled through GreatDomains which is NSI's after market
> place. There are about 9 million names that have not dropped that should be.
> I was told that out of that 9 million about 2 million will be sought after
> because of there value. I have personally found names that expired in '98
> and have yet to be released.

That is true although I doubt the number is that high.
(Not that I know what the exact number is.) But that is a
separate issue. And don't forget, my proposal gives the
losing registrar a cut of the auction dollars. I know
there will be plenty of complaints that Verisign gets
to keep that money, but for practical matters,it very well may be a deal
that is worth cutting no matter how much it hurts.

Larry Erlich

http://www.DomainRegistry.com