[registrars]

[registrars] Re: [RegistrarsList] Registry Connections?

To my understanding since the first few registrars came online the after
market sale of domains has developed into it's own competitive business. It
is a specialized version of a registrant that is aware of the after market
game which involves downloading the zone files and comparing the delta's.
There are quite a few of the registrars that are in this game but I am sure
that the deniability is great.

Bidding models have appeared which has driven the value of an average
dot-com, net anywhere from 50.00 to 2000.00 dollars per. The normal business
of the registrar is still there but in the last 10 months the registrar
involvement has grown 6 fold. When a person is willing to spend up to
2500.00 dollars to become a member X 10 members a month for registering
expired names look at the opportunity. A registrar has already developed 95%
of infrastructure to handle this so a new market has been growing.

This after market environment has developed a life and has it's own business
model. I can point out several business that have grown just from the market
alone. Look at Great Domains (Verisign) and AfterNIC (Register.com) they
continue to grow by providing services in the after market. Several of the
registrars only do business by registering names during this drop time. This
market is not dominated by the large registrar or the small but several
provide special backend servers for this purpose or registrars have made
arrangements with clients for there systems to be exclusive during this drop
time.

So I think the initial registration model has grown and spawned a new modal
that should be taken into consideration, when talking about redefining how
and when drops are handled.

David W.
IARegistry