[registrars]

Re: [registrars] Transfers

Paul and David,

I would like to echo Davids concern and add that Verisign's auto-nacks
are by far the biggest problem at this stage, simply because of the sheer
volume of domains held through Verisign.

I would also like to reiterate that:

- Verisign uses loopholes in the transfer rule it has written itself
  in its registry role
- The auto-nack policy hurts precisely those registrars who abide by the
  prior documentation rule
- Verisign causes large numbers of domains to expire by rejecting
  transfers, thereafter refuses to transfer invoking "non paid" status
- Many transfers are rejected despite confirmation, or no confirmation
  request is sent
- Most of the domain names involved are legacy registrations
- A number of facts leave little credibility to a "customer protection"
  motive:
  -- Verisign's time to confirm is unreasonably short
  -- Verisign's confirmation method unreasonably cumbersome
  -- Verisign's confirmation requests are difficult to understand,
     difficult to tell from spam
  -- Verisign generates additional revenue with the auto-nack policy
  -- Verisign has not caused less erroneous transfers than other registrars
     in proportion to the number of transferring customers
- Verisign clearly has a dominant market position

This of course is by no means an exhaustive list. The pattern is clear
though: The inadequacies of the transfer method designed by the Verisign
Registry and the barriers used by Verisign Registrar make the transfers
prohibitively costly to other registrars.

We had been told about a document from Verisign registrar, but there
is no need for such a document. Verisign must simply give up the auto-nack
policy and let its own registry division work with registrars
to improve the transfer mechanism.

It goes without saying that Verisign's dual registry-registrar role,
its former monopoly role and its dominant position with respect to
outstanding registrations should cause Verisign to exercise maximum
restraint - even after ICANN's signature of the new agreements.

Regards,

Werner

"Paul M. Kane" a *crit :