From: "Srikanth Narra" <sri@domainmates.com>
To: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2001 10:50 AM
Subject: [ga] domain name owner's bill of rights

> Anywhere in the agreements (mela) that surround ICANN - is there any thing
that sounds or feels like bill of rights for domain name owners ?

> I just spent two calls one for 45 mins and another for 35 minutes without
being able to speak to a representative with leading domainname register
($35 per year). Had no choice. The email to support resulted a reply that
was completely useless - surely someone scanned for words sent reply without
bothering to read the email. I am frequently overseas and the cost of calls
is extrorbitary.

> Then there is NSI - that can not be relied on to send a timely email
notification (if at all) of upcoming renewal but can be trusted to handle
"infrastructure".

> Recently I heard from a friend working a company in consumer information
business - that to meet targets for a quarter - quietly fired the entire
staff (30 odd) manning support phone lines except for 1 person (it was
mandatory). Seems the management made a concious decision..er..oversight to
let consumers stay on hold and give up.

ICANN in.**sputter****sputter**

> Is there some clause anywhere that trys to ensure some basic service to
domain name holders. Any retributions against abusers ? Any place to
complain ? Any thing anywhere that will stop registers from charging the
domainname owners for bare minimal things like sending timely, if not
mandatory, reminders ?

> If you think I am a delusionary participant who is expecting too much of
ICANN, etc - after all its not a regulatory authority only technical one or
business self regulation, yada yada yada.