From: M. Stuart Lynn [mailto:lynn@icann.org]
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 5:28 PM
To: Michael D. Palage; Karen Rose; Philip Sheppard; Louis Touton;
vcerf@mci.net
Subject: Re: Registrar Constituency Letter

Dear Michael:

Thank you for sending me the letter from a number of participants in
the registrar community regarding the Board's recent actions
involving the modified ICANN/DOC/VeriSign contracts. I appreciate
receiving the thoughtful comments.

As you know, in finalizing the negotiations with Verisign, I am bound
to follow the Board's resolution on this matter. Among other
provisions, this requires Louis and me to formalize on ICANN's behalf
the understandings reached in the Lynn-Sklavos correspondence, but it
does not contemplate putting new matters on the table.

We will make every effort, therefore, to reflect in the final
agreements those suggestions in your letter that support the
framework agreed in the Lynn-Sklavos correspondence -- for example
serious monetary sanctions for firewall violations -- but will not be
able to include any suggestions that lie outside of that framework.
Either way, I am confident that the final agreements will reflect the
essence of what we are all trying to achieve to the overall benefit
of the community.

My thanks to you and your colleagues for your continued constructive
suggestions and for your support as we move through this difficult
process.

Stuart

--

Stuart Lynn