[registrars]

[registrars] MITI (Japan) announcement.

Dear Colleagues:

Here is the text.  With the power point presentations, it rund 500,000+ bytes.

If anyone is interested, I'll forward it individually.

Regards, BobC

MITI's Industrial Structure Council Information and Economic Section has just released a draft proposal on the "Creation of a Competitive Environment for Network Infrastructure and Systemic Reform for the Information Technology Era."  The proposal, which is summarized below, borrows heavily on U.S. and European stategies to let the private sector lead the way and offers "rule-making to shed the constraints of the old rules."  The scope of the proposal covers telecommunications, e-commerce, competition policy, intellectual property rights, and administrative dispute resolution.  It is subject to public comment, which must be received by Sept. 18.  MCIWorldcom has a represenative on the MITI committee and is interested in working with us on a public comment.  If you or your committee feel strongly about submitting public comment, please contact the ACCJ office and new Telecommunications Subcommittee Chair Mike Kawachi (mkawachi@lucent.com).

The report can be accessed (in Japanese) via MITI's website at:
http://www.miti.go.jp/feedback-j/i00818aj.html

An English summary of the main points of the proposal is attached and has been split into two files.  The first part provides background information and comparative statistics.  The second part is a summary of the proposal itself.  If you have difficulty opening the files, please let me know and I will resend by fax.

Jonathan Kushner
Associate Director for Policy Development
American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ)
3-25-2 Toranomon 5F, Minato-ku
Tokyo 105-0001    Japan
Tel: +81 3 3433 5381 [ext. 129]
Fax: +81 3 3436 1446