[nc-whois]

RE: [nc-whois] some basic remarks

Steve,

For the record I'd like to offer a few clarifications to your remarks
about my remarks. ;)

As a general note, all of my comments were prefaced with the fact that I
was fully engaged in exploring the scope of the issue and arriving at an
informed conclusion in light of industry and internet development as
well as the work of the Task Force. With the exception of our registrant
privacy statements
(http://www.dnso.org/clubpublic/registrars/Arc01/pdf00000.pdf), we do
not have a committed public position on Whois.

With that in mind, I'd also like to clarify some of my comments. First,
I did *not* make the statement that "Whois has outlived its usefulness".
My question to the TF was whether or not there had been any
consideration by the TF as to whether or not Whois was the appropriate
tool to solve the problems that were being dealt with. If Whois is not
this "appropriate tool", then it may indeed be the case (as discussions
elsewhere in the DNSO have indicated) that Whois is indeed past its
prime.

Secondly, and I'm not sure if this was clearly heard by all or not, but
in each instance where I mentioned cost, I explicitly referred to both
the economic and social cost of the solution. I recall that one of the
respondents to the survey indicated that their primary concern with the
whois was "...with having access to accurate information regarding the
registrants of business domain names." and that their principle harm due
to bad Whois data was that "...in a sample of 1,600 comercial web
sites,we were unable to identify 12% of the beneficial owners of the web
sites and determine if they were compliant in regard to their Federal
Tax obligations." (http://www.dnso.org/dnso/notes/resp-2150.html)

In this case, the direct economic costs are reasonably defined. But what
of the indirect economic and social costs - on both sides of the fence.
It is extremely clear from this, and other, responses, that the current
whois structure is inadequate. But, without a clear understanding of
what the actual problems are, it is impossible to determine what the
costs are and whether or not it is reasonable to develop new tools or
use the existing ones - which doesn't even go near the question of who
assumes the costs (to which I submit that the network will be forced to
bear the majority of the investment).

To some of your specific comments...

> But it is hard to argue that, with the growth of e-commerce,
> the goals of transparency and accountability are LESS
> important today than they were  "when 'home page' was spelled
> ~/.plan" -- whatever that means.

The question here is transparency and accountability for whom? The
argument for the rights of registrants is much easier to make and should
perhaps be the primary focus of this policy development track. What are
registrants and the community as a whole giving up to cede to the
undefined goals of "transparency and accountability"?

> and why it was important.  As I recall, the single purpose
> provided most often was "to find out the identity of a person
> or organization who is responsible for a domain name or web
> site."

I'm not sure that I understand this clearly - was this an indication
that a majority of whois users are of the belief that the domain name
whois system is an authoritative source of information concerning the
identity of individuals or entities responsible for host based services?
If this is the implication, then the problem just got a whole lot
larger.

Anyways, I did sincerely appreciate the time spent on the call
yesterday. It was extremely informative and hopefully everyone else
found it as useful in furthering their understanding of the issues as I
did.

Thanks again,

                       -rwr

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an
idiot."
- Steven Wright

Got Blog? http://www.byte.org/blog

Please review our ICANN Reform Proposal:
http://www.byte.org/heathrow