[nc-whois]

Re: FW: [nc-whois] revised chapters I.C, I.D-and-E, IV

Thank you.

I have reviewed the changes you are suggesting, and suggest the
following way of adopting the underlying concerns (see the attached
Word document for details).

 - Analysis of free-form responses to q. 17.d:  Add a first sentence
   to the paragraph, "The free-form part of question 17.d asked
   those who had demanded a change in the existing bulk access
   provisions (about half of all respondents) to elaborate on the
   kind of change they desire. Across all categroies ofrespondents,
   ..."

   I have no problem with the other changes you suggest to this
   section.

 - Section E, "Issues identified." I don't think that preservation
   of public access belongs into the "privacy" bullet point.
   Instead, I've added a new bullet point: "Access: Various
   respondents stressed the need for continued public access to
   whois data, and for the enforcement of bulk access provisions."

 - Section F, "Findings and Discussion of Results."  With all due
   respect, I believe that it's sufficient to mention the result
   from the yes-no part of that question once in a short, ten-line
   summary of the results.  I've changed the text like this:

   >> Taking error margins into account, the yes-no part of this
   question leads to an undecided result or to thin majorities in
   some of the categories: Half of the respondents suggest that the
   bulk access provisions should be changed, half suggest they
   shouldn't.

   The result of the evaluation of the free-form responses which were
   given by those who do suggest a change of bulk access provisions
   look very similar to the results from question 16: Between 62% and
   82% (or a total of 75%) of these respondents call for opt-in
   policies or no access to data for resale or marketing purposes;
   additionally, some responses more generally ask for stricter
   privacy protection.  There was very little support for improving
   the present opt-out mechanisms (< 10%), and close to no support
   for a more relaxed privacy policy among those who demanded a
   change to the existing bulk access provisions. <<

   I suppose that this wording makes the numbers clear enough.

I hope you folks can agree with these changes, so we can close the
substantial part of chapter IV - of course, some numbers and charts
will still have to be added.

PS: The software I use can deal quite nicely with change tracking à
la Word, and that approach makes things easier.  The problems mostly
occur with advanced formatting and OLE objects.  I'm not just
relying on a PDA this time.  ;)

Thomas Roessler                        <roessler@does-not-exist.org>

On 2002-06-18 09:45:21 -0400, Steve Metalitz wrote:
>From: Steve Metalitz <metalitz@iipa.com>
>To: "'NC-WHOIS@DNSO.ORG'" <NC-WHOIS@dnso.org>
>Subject: FW: [nc-whois] revised chapters I.C, I.D-and-E, IV
>Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:45:21 -0400
>
>I suggest a few changes to the draft of chapter IV.  In the attached, these
>are found in CAPS (new mateial) and [brackets] (proposed deletions).  For
>the most part, these would reflect the fact that half the respondents did
>not call for a change in bulk access policies (Q. 17d), and that "stricter"
>privacy protection is not necessarily "better."
>
>Steve Metalitz

IV_06102002-sjm.doc