[nc-whois]

RE: [nc-whois] Consolidated comments on draft interim report

I'm responding on behalf of the gTLD constituency to Steve's comments,
Thomas' note, Lawrence's text, and to suggest how we proceed in the next few
days:

- Next few days:  It's necessary, as Steve suggests, to have a clean text of
our draft for each constituency to review before the TF issues any
preliminary report.  It's more important that we get it right, particularly
after all the time everyone has spent working on it, rather than rush to put
something out that any constituency has a question or concern about.  (If
necessary, we'd rather even issue the draft at the end of the Ghana meeting
or right after, if that's what it takes to ensure everyone is comfortable
with it.)  This doesn't preclude presentations to constituencies earlier, as
long as each constituency has ok'ed the text (and slides and charts, if any)
for the presentation(s).

- Steve's comments:  we are in complete agreement that the mission and terms
of reference need to be reflected more accurately.  it was agreed that the
TF would judge whether a review of any questions is due and, if so, what
MECHANISM to recommend for that review.  and, as folks know from the call,
we also believe that the contradiction between qs 16 and 17 should be
highlighted more.

- Thomas' note  on edits: We do think it is important to note that the
number of indiv. and commercial respondents is likely a small number of
overall users.  It's only obvious if you reflect on all the data and each
category, but that could be said for alot of what we are writing.  It's more
important to give the reader as full and clear a picture as possible.  If
you like, text could say: There is no way to know what percentage the number
of indiv. and comm. respondents represent, but it is clearly a small number
of overall users."  Edits welcome.

- Lawrence's qs 5-10 (Thank you for such hard work on this section!).  q5:
when we look at the charts, they indicate that the 2nd use is "to determine
if there are similar names in use"  Thus we should delete "and to ID who is
responsible for a name".  Also, it does not seem correct to say a plurality
across all categories said the purpose shld be to ID folks for IP
infringements b/c this was a Q where people cld put down multiple responses,
ie every answer has a plurality if that's the criteria.  Q6: Here there were
really only 3 choices, and protecting privacy came in third. that should be
stated more clearly, and noted that it garnered support as the most
important issue from 1 out of 5 respondents (19%)

We hope that's helpful, and we look forward to reviewing the consolidated
draft prior to release, as well as any text and charts being prepard for
presentations at Ghana.

Regards, Miriam

Miriam Sapiro
Director of International Policy