From: Cole, Tim [mailto:tcole@arb-forum.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 03, 2002 12:10 PM
To: 'Ethan Katsh'
Cc: UDRP Task Force
Subject: RE: [nc-udrp] Memo re access to UDRP decisions

Thank you Ethan for all the work you are putting into this important issue.
Although this isn't a solution, I would like to also note that the Forum now
has a full text search function included in its decision search options,
along with parties, domain names, status, dates, etc. at
http://www.arb-forum.com/domains/decisions.asp.  Of course neither the WIPO
search engine nor the Forum search engine will permit searches of ALL
decisions.  Westlaw and Butterworths Lexis maintain databases with all UDRP
decisions and LexisNexis is preparing to add them in the near future.  Of
course, those are subscription services, but they do support fairly
extensive and familiar search engine capability.

The Forum has also acquired the original eResolution computer server that
contains all of the eResolution decisions.  We have made offers to ICANN to
provide a permanent home for these on our website with a similar search
engine, but have yet to receive approval from ICANN to do so.

I would like to respond to one comment made in your report about incentives
to participate.  Although dispute providers may be competitors on one level,
I see no reason why that fact would generate opposition to a helpful search
engine.  The true potential obstacle is the means used to collect the search
data.  If providers are responsible for detailing all of the characteristics
needed for the search engine to work, that is a significant additional
responsibility.  It also raises a question as to the accuracy or consistency
of search elements, since many of them are subjective and may be interpreted
differently by different providers or panelists.

I would also be interested in hearing the input of other potential users
about the elements identified in the search engine.  Do they adequately
address the issues of importance to parties who may use a search engine?

Timothy S. Cole
Director, Internet Dispute Solutions
National Arbitration Forum
651.604.6725