[nc-udrp]

RE: [nc-udrp] RE: Summary of Responses 82-89

{\rtf1\ansi\deff0{\fonttbl {\f0\fmodern\fcharset0 Courier New;}{\f1\fswiss\fprq2 Arial;}}
{\colortbl ;\red0\green0\blue255;}
\uc1\pard\cf1\lang1033\ulnone\f0\fs20 Hi everyone\par
\par
I have a few comments to add to the various debates that started as a result of Jim's response.\par
\par
I think it is important that we do not lose the momentum of using the information (albeit that some of it is not that helpful) that the survey responses generated.  Personally I found the various comments interesting if a little biased and in some cases completely irrelevant but as a picture I think we are beginning to see that generally UDRP works well and is liked but that there are some areas which need refining.  We can as a task force pull all these together and work on that.\par
\par
We all accepted (I think - or at least I did!) that the results of survey were only going to be a guideline and that it was unlikely that there would be a representative sample of respondents.  I was relieved to see that at least it wasnt all trade mark owners that replied.\par
\par
I am all for structure (in fact Ive been called a control freak in the past) but Im not too keen on the idea of sub committees simply because in my limited experience of task forces on internet matters everyone wants to have their say about everything and even if one topic is delegated to a small number of us it will have to be later discussed again in detail by the whole group. I can feel myself already becoming guilty of this since I couldnt easily chose 3 of M Scott's list - I want to have a say on them all!  How about if we take M Scott Donahey's list of topics which seems a good list to me and make one person responsible per topic for compiling and documenting the results of the debate into a word document which can then form an annex to a report?\par
\par
I think Milton and Caroline have done a fantastic job in difficult circumstances and I dont envy them pulling the results of the survey responses together into something coherent that we all agree on but Im looking forward to seeing and commenting on that document when it is ready.  \par
\par
We need to take care that for any period of time that we are without a chair we do not let the good work that we have already done lose momentum.\par
\par
regards\par
Katrina\par
\par
\pard\li360\cf0\protect\f1\fs16 -----Original Message-----\par
\protect0\pard\protect\fi-1440\li1800\tx1440\b From:\tab\b0 J. Scott Evans [SMTP:jse@adamspat.com]\par
\b Sent:\tab\b0 06 March 2002 23:03\par
\b To:\tab\b0 MSD@tzmm.com; Jeff.Neuman@neustar.us; froomkin@law.miami.edu\par
\b Cc:\tab\b0 CCHICOINE@thompsoncoburn.com; carmody@lawyer.com; nc-udrp@dnso.org\par
\b Subject:\tab\b0 Re: [nc-udrp] RE: Summary of Responses 82-89\par
\protect0\pard\protect\li360\f0\fs20\par
Scott:\par
\par
I certainly have no problem with serving on a subcommittee.  However, both\par
of your messages seem to imply the foregone conclusion that the UDRP needs\par
to be revised.  I thought that was the purpose of the survey -- to see what\par
the broader community viewed as shortcomings in the UDRP.  I also thought we\par
were going to review and consider the papers by various parties that have\par
reviewed and analyzed the UDRP to determine if any of those positions held\par
merit and, if so, how we could revise the UDRP to overcome the identified\par
deficiencies.  I realize that everyone was put on the TF because of their\par
perceived expertise, however, in ICANN it is the stakeholder community at\par
large, not individual experts that drive change.  For this reason, I think\par
it is a mistake to assume the UDRP requires change and to assume the\par
credentials of the TF members mean that our only task is to craft the\par
necessary revisions to incorporate/accommodate such changes.  I think the\par
basic premise for this TF is to determine if the stakeholder community\par
believes the UDRP needs revision.  If the answer to that questions is "yes,"\par
then the next question is where and what suggestions does the community\par
offer for how.  Lastly, the inquiry is in those identified areas where there\par
seems to be consensus that revision is required, what form should that\par
revision have and, of the suggested remedies/revisions, which are most\par
appropriate.\par
\par
J. Scott\par
----- Original Message -----\par