[nc-transfer]

[nc-transfer] Status on Terms of Reference and Representation

Dear all

REPRESENTATIVES FROM CONSTITUENCIES:
I am expecting to hear from the Registry Constituency and ccTLD Constituency
regarding their representatives.

STATUS OF TERMS OF REFERENCE:

Regarding the status of the ToR, I have received input from the Registrar
Constituency, the non-commercial constituency, and the chair of the GA
There have been several other related postings, including Verisign's recent
posting.

I posted last night the suggested schedule on the revised ToR and time
frames.

ADDITIONAL REPRESENTATION: There has also been a good deal of posting about
representation from other interested parties, particularly registrants.
Hearing from registrants (of all categories, from individual, through non
commercial organizations, to companies large and small) is a challenging
task, but one which is very critical.

I have heard several ideas: one being that a representative of the GA be
added for that purpose. Others include views that no single person can
provide that input.  Another that there needs to be more outreach to the
registrants themselves.  What all of the ideas have in common is the
importance of the views of the registrants.

Therefore, I propose to modify the work plan to incorporate at least one
session where the TF will hear from registrants who will be invited to
participate in a call and asked a standard set of questions in an impartial
manner.  The development of the questions would be a project of the TF, so
that all can participate and feel it fair.  Identifying and recruiting
participants should be agreed to by the TF and should include appropriate
outreach.   We will deal responsibly with privacy issues, of course.

With that approach, I hope we can agree that we have addressed the very
valid concerns which have been raised to ensure that the concerns and views
of registrants are understood, and move ahead with the TF's work.

Development of this additional effort for the TF will mean additional work
for the TF, but I trust that all of you will be willing to participate, and
to reach out to your constituencies and to the GA.

TURNING THE TF INTO A WORKING GROUP:

I am not proposing that the TF be turned into a Working Group, as has been
suggested.  The reason for that is that 1) the NC appointed a TF 2) we have
considerable work to do as a TF 3) there has been no discussion with the NC
on the need for a change.  That topic can be discussed in the upcoming NC
meeting, as part of the TF report.