[nc-str]

Re: [nc-str] Comments to ALSC Draft V 3

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 20:07:38 -0500, "Rita Rodin" <RRODIN@skadden.com>
wrote:

>Hello all - -

Hi Rita.

>As generally set forth in the ALSC Report, Supporting Organizations
>should consist of groups and/or individuals whose interests are more
>closely aligned.  In that way, the SO's can reach consensus within
>their own organizations, and thereafter work to reach consensus
>across different SO's.

If the definition of an SO is a group of groups or individuals whose
interests are closely aligned how is this different from a
constituency?

At present a constituency is exactly that - all the IP lawyers or all
the Registrars or all the Businesses.

An SO though is all the stakeholders in a particular area such as
domain names, addresses or protocols.

Not against necessarily what you propose but wanting to see how an SO
under this model would be different to a constituency except it may
get to elect Board members directly.

>There should be a strong inter-SO organization created to facilitate
>consensus-building across SO's and thereby generate documented
>cross-SO consensus upon which the ICANN Board could act.

And how would this be different from the current Names Council which
is meant to do this?

Personally I think that the Names Council has not been at all
successful in doing this (mainly because not resourced properly) but
again not sure how creating a differently titled Names Council would
help.  Really I'm after details of different composition or procedures
which would make a difference.

Ta

DPF
--