[nc-org]

Re: [nc-org] Feedback from the Meeting

On Sun, 18 Nov 2001, at 20:18 [=GMT-0500], Milton Mueller wrote:

> Marc:
> Yes, I think a "shell" SO thrown together
> by a commercial registry or registrar
> is something we have to watch out for.
> That is why I am interested in reaction to
> the idea of having a committee formed by
> the NCDNHC provide reviews of the
> applications that can be used by the Board.
> What do you think of that?

In itself a fine idea. But who will be in this committee? Elected?
Also, if the barrier is too high by a huge application fee, there may
be only commercial applicants to select from. The committee is then of
little use.
In my view it will be difficult to find resources for any new
organization that is truly not for profit, because it is uncertain
that it will 'win' ORG. Therefore a low entry barrier is of paramount
importance.

> Why did I require that applicants be
> incorporated?
>
> Basically, the feedback I got in Marina del
> Rey, and before that from the comments of
> Roessler, indicated that most people don't
> feel comfortable delegating .org to an
> organization that formally doesn't exist
> yet at the time it applies.

OK. This is not such a high barrier as a big application fee.