[nc-org]

Re: [nc-org] implementation and TF process

On Tue, 25 Sep 2001, at 16:55 [=GMT-0400], Ken Stubbs wrote:

> you conclusions here marc are way off base...

They may very well be. Still what sort of applicants have a chance?

> i am sure you can see that  it quite clear from elisabeth's description that
> this is a rather sophisticated operational endeavor with a good size staff
> and a substantial operational budget.

A lot of it will or can be outsourced, e.g. the whois and registry
operation. Other (new) registries do this too, if I am not mistaken.

> also ...most complex "non-profits" with a volume this size are managed by
> "professionals"...

"with a strong business background" was what triggered my remark. I
would find it rather sad if only an organization that is merely a
non-profit in name has a chance to apply with any success. I would
hope that first ICANN will look at the ideas behind the proposed
plans. The hiring of marketing managers can be done later.

I would not be surprised if there were people out there who would like
the new ORG to be mainly a competitor to Verisign. That is, of course,
also part of what is behind this ORG split off: competition. True
competition in my view creates possibilities (esp. in a *regulated*
market as the DNS) for other types of entities.

> if you cant see the need for this then you are not being realistic at all.
>
> you dont really believe that the ICANN board would just "turn over the
> registry" to a group of people without professional "management
> experience"..& proper technical expertise.. to do so would be a breach of
> the boards responsibility to the current users of ".org" as well as the
> internet community..

Well, eh, .INFO was a day late in resolving its first batch of
registrations. We don't want that to happen to ORG, no. I am not
against professionals, on the contrary. I am not even against legal
professionals. I am against putting up barriers that make it
impossible for new bottom-up groups to apply for ORG, and limit
chances to those which already have vested interests in the DNS and/or
can cough up the money involved in such an approach.

The new ORG will get $5M. They need a good plan, not a lot of money
and expensive names.

> even institutions like syracuse university have business offices and
> professional managers to deal with the non-academic "business side" of
> managing an educational institution..

This is even true in Europe. But these people are 'hired' and do what
the board says. The are not part of any policy making.

Marc