[nc-budget]

[nc-budget] NC Budget subcommittee

Hi Elizabeth,
Would you please arrange for th message below to be sent out to the NC Budget
subcommittee.  I don't seem to have the list (and I'm also unsure who is on
it!).

Thank you for your assistance.

Best regards,
erica

NAMES COUNCIL BUDGET SUBCOMMITTEE

As discussed, the following issues are outstanding and need to be resolved.

1.  Search process

2.   Selection process
3.	Selection criteria

Chuck Gomes has volunteered to have a crack at drafting an outline of the
search process.

I have had a crack at drafting proposed selection criteria and outlining the
selection process (see below and/or attachment).

I would appreciate any comment/thoughts/suggestions  you may have.

By way of keeping the ball rolling, I would like to convene a teleconf for
later this week - say Fri 8.00 EST?  Chuck Gomes has agreed to host the conf
but at this stage is unclear who is on the sub-committee.  I'd appreciate it
if members would indicate their availablity or otherwise to the list asap.

The purpose of the teleconf is to conclude the business of the sub-committee
and finalise proposals for (i)the search process, (ii)the selection criteria
and (iii)the selection process. Clearly, if we are to achieve this (and avoid
a long drawn out teleconf) we need to progress the matter on-line.

SELECTION CRITERIA

Background:

The DNSO Names Council is a body elected by the ICANN Domain Names Supporting
Organisation (DNSO) and is responsible for advising the ICANN Board on matters
relating to the domain name system.  The DNSO has the primary responsibility
for developing and recommending substantive policies with respect to the
domain name system and is made up of seven constituencies representing
different interest groups.
The DNSO Names Council is seeking to appoint, under a 12-month renewable
consultancy contract, an entity capable of providing high level Secretariat
services and assisting the Names Council develop and manage effective
consensus building processes.  This is a new and challenging opportunity for
an entity with proven high level policy and secretariat skills to contribute
to the development and administration of the domain name system.

Proposals to provide Secretariat services will be assessed against the
following selection criteria:

Experience:

Experience in high level policy and Secretariat work preferably including work
with diverse populations in international fora;

Experience in developing and managing budgets, including the maintenance of
records required to ensure transparency and accountability.

Knowledge:

Knowledge of processes, procedures, operational guidelines, etc used in
international fora to promote
consensus building amongst diverse populations and achieve substantive
outcomes;

Skills

Proven communication, negotiation and liaison skills (while ICANN is a global
organisation, the linga franca of the Internet is English and applicants must
have high level English language written and oral communication skills);

Proven organisational skills and the ability to work on-line with minimal
support and direction.

Travel

The appointee will be required to travel globally and attend ICANN and related
constituency meetings.  Minimally, this is expected to involve a period of
8-10 weeks travel per annum.

Location

The DNSO is a global organisation and there is no geographical location
requirement.  However, the Secretariat will be required to operate on-line and
must be able to establish and maintain good Internet and telephone
connectivity.

Remuneration:

It is anticipated that funding will initially be available for the equivalent
of one full time position.  Applicants are invited to suggest staffing options
and costs.  These costs are expected to cover all normal operational costs
including accommodation, computer hardware, software and connectivity.  It is
anticipated that costs associated with travel and telephone will be dealt with
separately and reimbursed on a basis to be agreed.

Contract Period

Subject to funding availability, the intention is to make an appointment under
a 12-month renewable contract.  Contractual terms will be negotiated with the
successful applicant and are expected to include regular review periods.

SELECTION PROCESS

The Names Council should retain decision making power on the appointment of a
Secretariat but should delegate to a selection committee the responsibility of
managing the selection process and developing recommendations for
consideration by the NC.

Selection Committee:

In the interests of administrative efficiency and timeliness, it is proposed
that a Selection Committee of three people be established to review
applications and make recommendations to the NC.  The NC should retain the
power of appointment.

I suggest that the Selection Committee be Chaired by the NC Chair (or his
nominee) and in addition comprise two other members of the NC (preferably of
the NC Budget Committee) from different constituencies and geographical
regions.

Selection Committee Tasking:

1.  Compile and publish all documentation as agreed by the Budget Committee
(NC?) required to initiate and manage the search process (including contact
information for applications);

2.  Establish a file including all applications - this file should be
accessible only by members of the NC;

3.  Consider and assess all applications against agreed Selection Criteria and
rank as follows:
   (i) Unsuitable (briefly document reasons with reference to selection
criteria)
   (ii) Rank remaining applicants and document reasons with reference to
selection criteria and comparisons with other suitable applicants;
   (iii) Interview and check references for the top candidate(s) - no more
than 3;
   (iv) Prepare and submit recommendation(s) to the NC - this should include
full details on the recommended candidate(s), documentation on the reasons for
ranking of suitable candidates and a list of candidates ranked as unsuitable;
   (v) Following a decision by the NC, implement the decision as directed by
the NC.

…………………

I would welcome your comments on the above - AND a volunteer to document the
proposed search process (including proposed timelines).

To keep up the momentum, I think we should schedule a teleconf on this next
week - and hopefully finalise a text on we are agreed
Regards,
erica

NC_-budget-sel_criteria.doc