[icann-nominations] Nomination for Barbara Simons
1a. Full name of the nominee: Barbara Simons
1b. E-mail address of the nominee: firstname.lastname@example.org
2a. Full name of the nominator: Milton L. Mueller
2b. E-mail address of the nominator: email@example.com
Below, I discuss why I believe Dr. Simons is qualified and
a good choice:
1. Accomplished persons of integrity, objectivity, and intelligence, with
reputations for sound judgment and open minds, and a demonstrated
capacity for thoughtful group decision-making;
Barbara is an accomplished computer scientist, former President
of the respected Association for Computing Machinery, adjunct
professor at Stanford and many other accomplishments.
2. Persons with an understanding of ICANN's mission and the potential impact of ICANN decisions on the global Internet community, and committed to the success of ICANN;
Barbara Simons has played an important role in ICANN's
formation, through the formation of the ACM Internet
Governance Committee. She has played a responsible
and constructive role, running in the At-Large election
and attending many meetings. She has always urged
people to engage in civil dialogue, which has often
brought her into conflict with me...
3. Persons who will produce the broadest cultural and geographic
diversity on the Board consistent with meeting the other criteria
set forth in this Section;
The gender balance of the Board leaves something to be
4. Persons who, in the aggregate, have personal familiarity with the operation of gTLD registries and registrars; with ccTLD registries; with IP address registries; with Internet technical standards and protocols; with policy-development procedures, legal traditions, and the public interest; and with the broad range of business, individual, academic, and non-commercial users of the Internet;
This criterion is something of a joke, because no single
person possesses expertise in all of the listed areas. Barbara
Simons is familiar with computer programming generally,
very familiar with Internet policy issues, and is known
by and familiar with the broad range of user interests,
including both business and large institutional users
and smaller users in households and advocacy groups.
5. Persons who are willing to serve as volunteers, without compensation other than the reimbursement of certain expenses; and
Simons has served as a volunteer in a variety of contexts,
including I think ACM (not sure whether it is unpaid)
6. Persons who are able to work and communicate in written
and spoken English.
I am confident that she can pull that off, somehow.
Election of the ICANN Board Director by the GNSO