[gTLD-com]

Re: [gtld-com] Commitee conclusions version 3

Chun,
you raise an interesting question over the term "confusingly similar". This phrasing has been used because it has some existing meaning in national and international laws in cases where consumer confusion or fraud may be suspected.

I agree with you that consumers must be free to choose from among competing options. This is the essence of conclusion number 1. But whereas in the real world there is no consumer freedom for a consumer who is deceived, all the committee is trying to do here is to create this same level of freedom. Given the potential for 1000s of new gtlds that are not confusingly similar, it is unlikely that this goal is a restriction on choice.

On your point about IDNs, I agree with you that the main issues should be dealt with outside of this committee. In the next version of the conclusions I will separate out the conclusions on IDNs and make reference to the fact they must be integrated into the work on IDNs being done elsewhere. Thank you for this suggestion.

Philip