ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] Olympic Hymn [arete]

At 08:51 PM 1/19/2003 +0000, Richard Henderson wrote:
>Sotiris!
>
>What a tangled web we weave... and how strange to be touched by your poem in
>this barren ghetto with its endless attrition.
>
>"O saeclum insipiens et infacetum"
>
>You fret over your poem, and yet seem to overlook the knowledge it imparts,
>in itself and of itself.

The value of that knowledge is exactly what I am fretting over,
Richard.  Others get paid handsomely for far more ephemeral produce.  I am
an Injured Party, have been for at least 11 months and change.

>Knowledge comes imparted like that, sometimes. When I recall a particular
>encounter, an unsolicited encounter ten years ago, what resides and
>resonates in my memory is not the spectacular technology and unimagined
>power of advanced minds, but simply an awareness:  awareness of
>communication, of an untaught knowledge imparted whole. Just suddenly there.

Knowledge comes about as the result a Synthesis of preceeding
Experience(s).  It doesn't appear out of thin air, just like my translation.

>Plato understood this too, in a separate way.

To be honest, I prefer to hear my Socrates through Xenophon.  Plato doesn't
carry much weight with me.

>Your poem captures something of the wholeness of another place. it is an
>achievement.

Others get commercial endorsements and big bucks for their achievements
Richard, I have not.  I have to eat, Richard.  I am only human.

>Do you seriously think you can control and contain your excellent
>translation, once it has been created?

That's what the Laws are there for Richard.  Redress of wrongs
committed.  I have been wronged.  How many eyes drank in my poem without
even an acknowledgment of my achievement?  There are plenty of venues for
this kind of news.

>Don't you realise the nature of this
>web, its repetition of repetitions? Soon, even this forum, this ICANN, will
>exist only as one of innumerable parallel worlds.
>
>...or as Borges said:
>
>"The Governor of Yunnun renounced all worldly power to construct a
>labyrinth - a labyrinth in which all men would become lost. I imagined it
>inviolate. I imagined it infinite. I thought of a labyrinth of labyrinths
>that would encompass the past and the future. An invisible labyrinth of
>time. To me, a barbarous Englishman, has been entrusted the revelation of
>this diaphanous mystery. I read, uncomprehendingly and with fervour, these
>words written by a man of my blood : I leave to the various futures my
>garden of forking paths. The forking in time. Diverse futures, diverse times
>which themselves also proliferate and fork."

I am of Greek heritage and we have a Labyrinth too, but Theseus showed us
how to get out a long time ago.

>"In a riddle whose answer is chess, what is the only prohibited word? I
>thought a moment and replied: the word Chess. To omit a word always, is
>perhaps the most emphatic way of stressing it."
>"In contrast to Newton and Schopenhauer, your ancestor did not believe in a
>uniform, absolute time. He believed in an infinite series of times, in a gro
>wing, dizzying net of divergent, convergent and parallel times. We do not
>exist in the majority of these times; in some you exist and not I; in others
>I, and not you; in others, both of us. Time forks perpetually towards
>innumerable futures."
>"The least things in the universe must be secret mirrors to the greatest.
>Every man is on Earth to symbolize something he is ignorant of. I do not
>know what right we have to that continuity which is time. Each moment is
>autonomous. My life is a flight and I lose everything and everything belongs
>to oblivion."
>
>But the significance of your Hymn is that it reaches out from another place.
>Inviolable. It has a classic timelessness and dignity.

Thank you, I know.  But it was still STOLEN without my permission and
displayed where conceivably millions got what you got out of it, and I got
NOTHING, not even the dignity of a little CREDIT.

>Just let it go, and the path will fork, and fork. Maybe it is not yours.
>Maybe it was given to you.

It came out of my head, Richard.  Nothing could be more mine.

>Outside, the sun shines bright - and your fingers can trace the rough bark -
>and a breeze as ancient as Thermopylae feels ardent against your cheek.
>Offerings are given up in honour of the gods. You can smell their fragrance
>but you cannot bring them back. That is part of the dignity. Part of the
>arete or excellence.

So is GERAS and I want my share for my part

Regards,

Sotiris Sotiropoulos

>Richard H

Sotiris Sotiropoulos
         Hermes Network Inc.
         Toronto, Canada
         416-422-1034 or 1-866-991-HOST
         http://hermesnetwork.com - Web Hosting & IT Services
         Established, Fast, Reliable.  Since 1998