ICANN/GNSO
DNSO and GNSO Mailling lists archives

Re: [ga] WHOIS accuracy, and name deletions

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 13:24:34 +0100 (CET), you wrote:

>I very much agree with the position outlined below. I would rather have a
>voluntary WHOIS (meaning you can be in there with the data you want,
>except perhaps some bare minimum for TECHNICAL contact, say email
>address), but I guess the power of the Intellectual Property People is too
>big to achieve that.

Well, don't forget that, at least in the EU, we have a very clear
privacy law. I guess that if any of us wanted, he could sue any EU
national registry and win. For example, at least for .it you're not
asked for the mandatory separate approval of the publication of your
data, nor you are given the option not to approve it. Of course the
situation on gTLDs is less clear (for example, if the registry is
American but the registrar is European, does EU law apply?) but still
there's ample space for winning a cause.
--
vb.            [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<---