RE: [ga] Re: 'constituency' and 'GNSO'

On 15 Jun 2003 at 6:36, Eric Dierker wrote:

> We are right back to the old catch 22.  Participate and lend legitamacy or
> abstain and let the train over you. I do not know the answer.  But GNSO
> elections would begin a process that is lacking. e

Eric,

It's a shame you see it as a choice of play or abstain in a soundproof room.  That is
a victim's choice.  If you know in advance that a train is racing to obliterate you and
you cannot even place a call to the engineer, would you simply allow it to do so or
would work to stop that runaway train before it obliterates all the cars stalled on the
tracks because the lights and gates don't work and other trains moving around the
world?  Think of the damage that runaway train can cause as it careens toward the
rest of civilization and they don't even see it coming.  Suddenly its speed causes it to
derail itself in the middle of a city, killing thousands of people, destroying buildings
and an economy.  Since that city is central to the success of most other cities, they
are all destroyed.  Well, that one train has done them all in, just because the
engineer (read special interests) couldn't or wouldn't consider that the citizens of
those cities saw what lies ahead and didn't want that train speeding down the track
toward them.

Now what could they have done?  Remove the track that this particular trains runs
on?  Cut the track prior to it's coming close to the cities?  Building other tracks for
the rest of the trains that eveyone could use?

Or put it another way.  If a drunk driver is weaving all over a highway, jumping the
median into oncoming traffic and is oblivious to all other drivers and pedestrians,
what do you think could be done?  Hmm.... Close off that portion of the highway and
put up detours?  If he somehow destroys part of the highway because he runs into a
bridge piling, and the highway was to be closed for years or permanently, what
then?  Let's see...  Oh yeah,  maybe build connectors to other highways and just
eliminate the bad section of roadway?  Then, if and when the highway is repaired or
preferably rebuilt with the cooperation of all the people who use it, it could be
reconnected to the road system.

Leah