Re: [ga] Re: Even Handed Application of The Rules (Yes or No? - We shall see) (was Re: [ga] Posting rights of Jeff Williams suspended for 14 days).

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 11:39:45PM -0700,
 Karl Auerbach <karl@cavebear.com> wrote
 a message of 30 lines which said:

> I am opposed to any formalized censorship.

Suppressing posting rights is not censorship. Censorship is when a
power (the government, a corporation, the mob) tries to suppress *any*
speech from an individual or an organization. When you tell someone to
shut up in a meeting (may be because he talks too much and off-topic),
it is not censorship, when you actively try to prevent him from
speaking anywhere, it is censorship.

People in countries with a long history of freedom of speech speak too
lightly about censorship.

> In the kind of warm discussion that arises out of social and political
> matters (as opposed to the calmer, less emotional discussions that occur
> in the ietf regarding technical matters)

Less emotional? I assume that you are actually a member of some IETF
working groups. If so, you do not have the same experience that I
have. Read the "namedroppers/DNSext" archives, for instance.

> Censorship is not foreign to ICANN - ICANN has tried to censor me, for
> example, by refusing to publish any of my papers on its web site,

It is bad policy and it speaks negatively about ICANN but censorship
is when you cannot even post what you want on your personal home page.