Re: [ga] Posting rights of Jeff Williams suspended for 14 days.

Stephane,

I would be interested in your definition of "troll."  Is it language or
content?  Attitude?

I ask because I get the impression that you categorize ICANN critics as
trolls while those who play into the games that ICANN plays are not.

I don't defend foul language or ad hominems, certainly.  However, in many
instances I have overlooked the format, spelling and language to get to
the meaning of the posts.

As for the word fascist, the dictionary says this:

1 often capitalized : a political philosophy, movement, or regime (as that
of the Fascisti) that exalts nation and often race above the individual
and that stands for a centralized autocratic government headed by a
dictatorial leader, severe economic and social regimentation, and forcible
suppression of opposition
2 : a tendency toward or actual exercise of strong autocratic or
dictatorial control

Where does this definition mention murder or genocide?  Comparisons to
tyrants like Mussolini are uncalled for, IMO, but the concept of fascism
is not unlike ICANN's policies or rule either.  For all the rhetoric
spewed from ICANN, its policies are autocratic, eliminate the voice of the
public in any meaningful manner and suppress opposition by its actions to
eliminate the At-Large.  The only difference from the dictionary
definition, IMO, is exclusion by race.  ICANN is the "nation" that
supports only its special interests (the few at the top).  It causes
severe hardship on anyone else.

Please keep in mind that much of my family was lost due to genocide, so I
am certainly not insensitive to that concept.  I just cannot see where the
definition of the term fascist automatically equates to murder.  I would
prefer the term autocracy, but what the heck...

Jefsey (correct me if I misspeak) posted that collaborators  were those
who infiltrated the occupying regime in order to fight from within and
possibly influence policy for the benefit of the people.  However, in most
cases, as was borne out later, collaborators were those who simply
capitualted and went the easy route to save themselves.  Resistance
fighters were those who remained true to their countries and countrymen.
Of course, we have to look at the larger picture.  The occupiers were
conquerors, not liberators.  They brutalized the economy, people...  Had
they been liberators, "collaborators" might have been seen as helpful to
their countrymen.

So, what do we have here?  Resistance = trolls.  Collaborators = ?  Some
of the trolls claim that working from within ICANN is a losing battle and
a waste of time.  Some who "collaborate" feel that one must work from
within ICANN in order to succeed.

From where I sit, it seems that working from within ICANN will take an
enormous amount of time and effort for a dubious, and probably dismal,
result.  In its present form, ICANN will not work for the benefit of the
greater community no matter what the ALAC does.  It will continue to
suppress the public and any opposition to the cartel it supports.  Can
working from within change this?  Doubtful.

OTOH, there must be some level headed individuals on committees, I
suppose, or there will be no voice at all anywhere from within ICANN other
than those who would dictate to the world.  Gee, does that sound a bit
fascist?  I do have a problem with those who claim to represent users at
large, but do not do so.  I don't feel that Vittorio represents many
users' views, nor does Esther.   Therefore, the ALAC does nothing for the
at-large.

Now if we take this a bit further, all these committees are supposed to
have some influence on who sits on the BOD.  How much does that matter if
the BOD takes orders from staff instead of the other way around?  The
whole thing is so topsy turvy, it is one huge sham that is destroying
precisely what it is supposed to protect.  It is protecting that which it
should be protecting against.

As for ruling the list, I am against censorship, but can understand
admonishments for ad hominem attacks as long as they are even handed.
Note that I said "admonishments."  Suspension for "useless" or
unsubstantial posts?  That could cover many posters.

So, Stephane, what is your point?  If we are not "ready" for democracy are
we to captiulate to autocracy?  I don't think so.  I think we need what
you call the "trolls" and the vocal minority.  Many times, it is those
vocal few individuals who really do speak for the majority of users.
Perhaps not on this list, but in the world - at-large.

The various attempts, as you called them, can't succeed because they are
not funded.  It is not because they can't organize, IMO.  The corporation
should have funded the at-large as it was, and allowed it to organize.  I
really believe that it is because of ICANN's total lack of credibility and
its efforts to undermine the at-large that has prevented any semblance of
democratic evolution.  People are tired and have become apathetic.  ICANN
has failed miserably.

Leah

P.S.  I deliberately did not address your first statement for obvious
political reasons.  I felt that first sentence was unnecessary.