Re: [ga] Posting rights of Jeff Williams suspended for 14 days.

Hi Dan!

I thought Danny Younger's remarks were right on target.

"the elimination of democratic institutions"... yep... goodbye to the
elected representatives of the At Large on the ICANN Board, and replacement
with a powerless group of top-down nominees

"the voting mechanisms of the General Assembly were forever denied to the
membership"... yep... goodbye to another layer of democracy and potential
dissent... long-live the self-perpetuating ICANN Board

"ALAC, whose goal is to legitimitize the total elimination of public
representation on the Board of ICANN"... yep... the whole point of ALAC is
to minimise and contain the impact of the internet user community and to
perpetuate the expulsion of the At Large directors

"Free speech is not compatible with an organization that seeks to deny the
public voice"... note the gradual elimination of the public forums (which
Stuart Lynn marginalised as "a joke")... note the failure of the ALAC public
forum to publish my critical mail last week (censorship again)...

ICANN is regarded with disdain because it is perceived as a self-serving
clique of insiders, working on behalf of the US Government, to administer
the DNS in the interests of the US, of commercial entities, of the IP lobby,
of its registry/registrar financiers, without accountability to the millions
of ordinary internet users to whom the Internet really belongs...

The comments of Jeff Williams were insubstantial. The instinct to "control"
and "dominate" from the top down, though, was again sadly indicative of a
mentality which could be seen as institutionally fascist and arrogant.

Lone voices of dissent can be marginalised, but Danny's is still the voice
of sanity and human decency.

I congratulate Danny Younger for his scrutiny, his perception, and his
analysis.

Richard Henderson