RE: The telephone network and the internet (RE: [ga] ALAC comment s on proposed Bylaws modifications)

As far as I know, there were no wide-scale implementations of X.400
(although there were various prototypes, tests, etc.).

You can't use what isn't available.

And the decision to implement, or not, X.400 was made by companies on a
commercial basis, as are the decisions to implement, or not, any other ITU-T
Recommendation, or any IETF RFC, or any ISO or IEEE standard.

I have the distinct impression that some people still don't understand what
ITU-T is or what it does.  Once again, ITU-T is an organization that
produces non-binding standards, just like IETF.  The ITU-T standards are
called Recommendations.  They are written by and approved by the ITU-T's
membership, which consists of both governments and private companies.  There
is a permanent ITU-T staff (of which I am part), called the TSB.  The
function of this staff is to facilitate the work of the members who write
the Recommendations, by organizing meetings, maintaining the web site,
publishing recommendations, etc.  The staff does not write Recommendations
and cannot vote on their approval.

Best,
Richard