[ga] Re: (Fwd) a cctld representative

    Dear Stuart,
    I'd prefer this exchange to stay on the public lists, and assume you have no problem
    with that.

    On 13 Mar 2003 at 18:54, M. Stuart Lynn wrote:
    > Dear Peter:
    >
    > Thank you for your input.

    > I find it odd that you should think that a board as globally diverse
    > as is that of ICANN selected Mr. Staley because of his alleged (by
    > you)  pro-U.S. bias.  I also find it odd that you should consider a
    > process to be closed and secretive when solicitations and nominations
    > were openly posted on our website and an email request for suggestions
    > went to every ccTLD administrator.

    I should be very glad to see the nominations that were made, and what result there
    was to the solicitations made. Can you point me to where the nominations are
    listed? Thanks.
    > Could it be that Mr. Staley is in fact very well-qualified if you
    > analyze the requirements for a member of the Nominating Committee?
    > Independent of his nationality. Or am I perceiving traditional rivalry
    > between Australia and New Zealand?

    I make no coment at all about Mr Staley's suitability. but about the process of
    appointment.

    > And then again, I did not see any interesting nominations come in from
    > you or for you. Or from any member of the ccTLD Admin. Or from the
    > ccTLD Admin collectively.  Did we miss something? I come from a school
    > that believes that if one does not choose to participate in a process,
    > one can hardly be surprised at the outcome.

    Yes, you missed something.

    The solicitation read in part:

    "To the ccTLD community:

       ICANN's reform process has resulted in adoption of a Nominating Committee
       mechanism for selection of qualified candidates to ICANN's Board of Directors (8
       seats), the At-Large Advisory Committee (5 seats), and the GNSO Council (3
       seats). (When the Country-Code Names Supporting Organization is formed, three
       of its eighteen members will also be selected by the Nominating Committee.)"

    I for one found this final statement breathtakingly arrogant.

    The cctld opposition to having appointments from the Nominating Committee is well
    publicised and well known. It can be seen, for example in the first statements made
    APTLD AGM by that regional association. An extract from the AGM's statement is
    pasted below, and has been sent to the Icann reeform site:

    Preliminary Recommendations on ccNSO Council

3.1.APTLD confirms that the council comprise fifteen voting members
    being three from each geographical region[1]. The ccTLDs have established
    regular liaisons with the other ICANN constituencies and SOs and because
    of our responsibilities to the local Internet communities have taken into
    account the interests and viewpoints of the wider Internet stakeholders.

3.2.Should the Board ignore the strong feeling and appoint council
    members via the Nominating Committee, then natural justice requires that
    ccTLDs be represented on that committee.

    I understand that at least Centr has also continued with its rejection of this feature.

    How you can be publishing a statement like that in the solicitation, when the issue of
    the ccSO hangs in the balance simply escapes me.

    We have been led to believe that if the cctlds come to Rio, and debate the report of
    the assistance group, or the ERC comments on it, that that debate will actually be
    taken into account in framing any bylaws setting up an SO.

    This statement makes it clear that despite a continuation of unanimous rejection of
    that principle by the cctlds, at least the Chair of the ERC intends to carry on with a
    SO which suits him, not the intended members.

    I'd be very interested in your view about this point.

    Do you accept that rejection of this principle by the cctlds meeting in Rio will result
    in this feature of the Blueprint being removed?

    If not, what is to be gained by debate in the face of pre-determined positions?

    So, you see that the issue of the Nominating Committee rather turns on the issue of
    the shape of the SO.

    If the cctlds don't like it, and decide in any reasonable numbers not to join ICANN,
    they have little or no interest in who sits on the Appointments Committee.

    If they do get an SO in a form which they choose to join, they don't need
    membership of that committee, as it will not be making appointments to their
    Council, and they see it as inappropriate to have a voice in making appointments to
    other bodies.

    If there is to be appointments by an appointments committee to the ccSO, ( lets not
    rule out this, for the sake of argument ) then you can expect to hear from the cc's on
    what they consider is an appropriate level of membership - one out 19 members
    strikes us as rather limited.

    So I rather think this uncertainty is behind why you heard nothing from the Adcom
    and from other cctlds.

    > And your statement about obtaining consensus views shows that you do
    > not understand how the Nominating Committee is supposed to work.
    > Members are delegates not representatives.

    Probably true -its irrelevance to the possible place for cctlds in ICANN has meant
    few of us have studied it much. I personally think its a camel of an idea.

     Once appointed, they act in
    > the way they think best bringing their own broad experiences and
    > contacts to the table. As far as directors with a representative
    > flavor are concerned, the ccNSO, once formed, would elect two
    > Directors.

    Which raises another interesting issue. If an SO is formed and only a few countries
    join, say the few countries who have signed contracts, would those few still be
    entitled to two board seats? Why?
    > Cheers -- hope to see you in Rio.

    Absolutely. I think organising cctld meetings alongside ICANN's meetings is useful
    way to exhange ideas, and trust that it continues.

    Regards

    Peter