[ga] Re: FC: Airplane critic gets sued over site -- but insurance pays defense

Jim and all,

  I agree.  As and aviator myself and a former Marine Avaitor
this is a very great concern.  However I must also say that the
issue of Domain Name ownership is being used here to apply
some sort of political pressure improperly and inexcusably.

  Still, well done Jim!

Jim Folts wrote:

> [...]
> > > responsible.  He took his problem to the National
> > Transportation Safety
> > > Board, which found that Piedmont Hawthorne was
> > responsible.  But when
> > > Folts set up a website titled Aircraft Pilots for
> > Better Maintenance,
> > > and used Piedmont Hawthorne's name is his domain
> > name and meta tags,
> > > Piedmont Hawthorne sued Folts alleging trademark
> > and defamation
> > > theories.
> > >
> > > Piedmont appears to have sued the wrong guy, at
> > the wrong time.  It is
> > > the wrong guy because Folts doesn't like being
> > pushed around and, it
> > > turns out, he has the luxury of being able to
> > afford to stand up for his
> > > free speech rights because Folts is covered for
> > this lawsuit by his
> > > insurance.  So he is going to have a fully
> > financed and high-class
> > > defense.  Indeed, the first thing I ask any
> > cybergriper who comes to me
> > > is, do you have insurance coverage so that you can
> > hire a lawyer.  If
> > > more people thoughy about this BEFORE they got
> > threatened with
> > > litigation, they'd be a lot better off.  Second,
> > the lawsuit was filed
> > > within days after the Sixth Circuit decided
> > Taubman v. Mishkoff, which
> > > would seem to preclude the trademark claims
> > altogether.   (we actually
> > > decided not to take the case because, in light of
> > Taubman, it seemed
> > > clear to us that the trademark claims were
> > untenable and the only real
> > > issues in the case was deframation for which a
> > local lawyer would be
> > > better)
> > >
> > > The story, including information about the
> > lawsuit, is now on Folts'
> > > website at http://www.aircraft-maintenance.com .
> > He stopped using the
> > > Piedmont-related domain name after he consulted a
> > local lawyer.   Now
> > > that he has experienced trademark counsel,
> > however, that may well
> > > change.
> > >
> > > Paul Alan Levy
> > > Public Citizen Litigation Group
> > > 1600 - 20th Street, N.W.
> > > Washington, D.C. 20009
> > > (202) 588-1000
> > > http://www.citizen.org/litigation/litigation.html

> > http://www.politechbot.com/info/subscribe.html
> > > This message is archived at
> > http://www.politechbot.com/
> > > Like Politech? Make a donation here:
> > http://www.politechbot.com/donate/

> > > Declan McCullagh's photographs are at
> > http://www.mccullagh.org/

> > Regards,
> >
> > --
> > Jeffrey A. Williams
> > Spokesman for INEGroup LLA. - (Over 129k
> > members/stakeholders strong!)

> > CEO/DIR. Internet Network Eng. SR. Eng. Network data
> > security
> > Information Network Eng. Group. INEG. INC.
> > E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
> > Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801

Jeffrey A. Williams