Re: [ga] ALAC comments on proposed Bylaws modifications

Vittorio and all Former DNSO GA members or other interested parties,

  VIttorio,  you and most folks that have been actually paying close
attention to the history of ICANN is that MoU's can always be
ignored, changed without review or consent of the effected in
ways that demonstrably or significantly make said MoU's ineffectual
or not enforceable.  Hence your suggestions here, is yet again, a poor
one...

Vittorio Bertola wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Feb 2003 13:14:16 -0000, you wrote:
>
> >Thanks for these clarifications, Vittorio
> >
> >The concern is that in some RALOs, certain organisations may capture the
> >RALO and "lock out" the individual vote.
> >
> >ICANN could have insisted on one member - one vote as the basis of running
> >the RALOs, but I suspect ICANN feared that the RALOs would then be
> >"captured" by the real members - that is to say, the ordinary individual
> >internet users.
>
> This is still something that could be addressed in the MoU between ICANN and
> the RALO, to which the Bylaws devolve the practical requirements. As the
> ALAC will definitely have a say in this, we might decide to add a "1 head 1
> vote" requirement at least where the RALO founding group chooses such
> principle. (Ultimately it will be the ICANN Board that approves the MoUs,
> but I think that if the ALAC and the RALO agree on a text the Board might be
> keen on approving it as it is.)
>
> >This remains a "top down" ICANN Board initaitive, which attempts to capture
> >and contain the At Large movement.
>
> I still think that you should judge the mechanism only after it is fully
> formed - and that there's plenty of space for influencing it (e.g. see Danny
> Younger's initiative).
> --
> vb.               [Vittorio Bertola - v.bertola [a] bertola.eu.org]<------
> --------> http://bertola.eu.org/ - Archivio FAQ e molto altro... <--------

Jeffrey A. Williams
E-Mail jwkckid1@ix.netcom.com
Contact Number: 214-244-4827 or 214-244-3801