From: Vittorio Bertola <vb@bertola.eu.org>
To: Richard Henderson <richardhenderson@ntlworld.com>
Cc: <ga@dnso.org>
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 10:12 AM
Subject: Re: [ga] ALAC comments on proposed Bylaws modifications

On Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:53:31 -0000, you wrote:

>Vittorio -
>
>How do you see these geographical RALOs self-organising?
>
>If, on the one hand, you have organisations claiming to represent the
>interests of hundreds or thousands, and on the other hand, you also have
>individual users in the RALOs, what procedures do you propose to determine
>the policies, demands and leadership of any given RALO?
>
>If there is no democratic organisation within the RALOs, how do you
>determine policy and viewpoints?
>
>If there *is* to be democratic organisation, how do you balance the votes
of
>individuals against the 'weight' of various-sized organisations?

These are exactly the open questions we have now. In the last weeks
(as reflected in these Bylaws modifications) the prevailing opinion
seems to be that you have to accept organizations as members of the
RALOs, but that relying on individuals with a 1 head = 1 vote
principle is the only reasonable instrument to come out of these
problems - so organizations would mainly act as points of entry and
opinion-makers for the individual membership. But this is just my
opinion.

I encourage all interested people to participate in the process of
formation of the RALOs, as it will be in the RALO's Bylaws that these
issues will be finalized. Our comments to the ERC went in this
direction - ICANN Bylaws should restate the principle that RALOs are
to represent individuals, but how to practically obtain this is to
vary from Region to Region and should be self-decided by the Region
itself.
--
vb.                  [Vittorio Bertola - vb [at] bertola.eu.org]<---